Kerry Blasted for Signing UN Arms Trade Treaty that Critics Say Creates De Facto Gun Registry - CNS News - The Obama administration’s decision to sign a global conventional arms trade treaty despite deep misgivings on Capitol Hill and among Second Amendment advocates drew strong reactions from lawmakers on Wednesday, underlining the ratification battle ahead. Signing the Arms Trade Treaty (ATT) in New York, Secretary of State John Kerry repeated the administration’s assertion that the document does not affect individuals’ constitutional right to bear arms. He said it achieved three important priorities for the U.S. – “a more peaceful world,” “a higher level of security” and “protection of human rights.” “That, frankly, is a trifecta for America, and that’s why we’re proud to sign this treaty today.” Given the current global focus on the conflict in Syria, proponents argue that the ATT ultimately will make it harder for a country like Russia to arm violators like the Assad regime. The treaty bars weapons transfers that would violate embargoes or be used for acts of genocide, war crimes or crimes against humanity. Sovereignty One criticism raised by opponents is the impact the treaty could have on America’s sovereign arms sales decisions. Read more.......
(2) Meltdown! GOP Senate Bosses' Phones Unplugged - WND - Following the epic, 21-hour speech by Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, supporting the defunding of Obamacare, either voters made so many calls to establishment Republicans that their phone lines melted, or those GOP leaders took their phones off the hook.
Even in this age of digital wizardry and limitless voicemail, callers could not get through at all to Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky.
A message said the senator was experiencing a high volume of calls and directed members of the public to call back later or visit his website.
It was the same story with the man who was the face of the GOP in the 2008 elections, former GOP presidential candidate Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz.
His phone was off the hook, too. Callers got a message stating his voicemail box was full. Read more.......
Related Articles - Direct Links:
(1) Who Else Does Ted Cruz's Triumph Help? - NY Post -Durbin complained that Cruz wanted to deny health care to the uninsured; did he not, Durbin asked, enjoy the benefits of the generous congressional health-care package himself?
Cruz said he wouldn’t answer Durbin until Durbin first replied to three questions Cruz had posed. Durbin, with an “a-ha” gesture, responded by saying it was clear Cruz was simply refusing to answer his embarrassing question.
He’d walked into Cruz’s trap. For then Cruz said, no, Senator, I’m eligible for the congressional plan — but I’m not enrolled in it....... Read more......
(2) Obamacare will subsidize up to 111,500 abortion per year - National Review Online......
(3) HR 3133 - Protecting Religious Liberty in the Marriage Debate - Heritage Foundation - Bipartisan legislation was introduced today in the House of Representatives that would prevent the federal government from discriminating against citizens and organizations who believe that marriage is the union of a man and a woman.
The Marriage and Religious Freedom Act (H.R. 3133) was introduced by Representative Raul Labrador (R–ID) and over 60 other original co-sponsors from both political parties.
The bill is an important step for conscience protection. Government policy should respect those who stand for marriage as the union of a man and a woman. Even in jurisdictions that have redefined marriage, those who believe marriage is the union of one man and one woman should be free to live in accord with their moral and religious convictions.
But in a growing number of incidents, government has not left these Americans free. Last month, the New Mexico Supreme Court ruled that the First Amendment does not protect a photographer’s right to decline to take pictures of a same-sex commitment ceremony—even though doing so would violate the photographer’s deeply held religious beliefs as a Christian. Read more.........
(4) Gov. Scott Rejects Common Core As an 'Intrusion' in Florida's Academic Standards - CNS News - Florida Governor Rick Scott issued an executive order Monday rejecting the Common Core educational initiative adopted in 2010 by the Florida State Board of Education (BOE) and endorsed by former Gov. Jeb Bush’s Foundation for Florida’s Future as a “Federal government intrusion” into his state’s right to set its own academic standards.
“The Federal government has no constitutional authority to unilaterally set academic standards for Florida, nor any authority to unilaterally direct local school board decisions on curriculum and instruction,” Scott’s executive order stated.
“Floridians will not accept Federal government intrusion into the academic standards that are taught to our students in our classrooms and will not tolerate the Federal government using such standards to coerce policy decisions at the state or local level,” it continued. Read more........
(5) Va. Governor Race: Debates Exposes Differences in Candidates on Guns: Cuccinelli is for Gun Rights, McAuliffe is for Gun Control - Bearing Drift -What is NOT being reported is the MASSIVE opening Terry McAuliffe gave to Cuccinelli last night on the previously dormant issue of gun control.
What is a gaffe? No. It was worse. It is an opening when it should have been a closing.
When asked what Virginia should do in the wake of the horrific shooting at the Navy Yard, Terry McAuliffe went all in on gun control advocating for an assault weapons ban, magazine limitation, one handgun a month restriction, and universal background checks.
Six weeks away from the election in which the best turnout estimates are 40%, McAuliffe gave Cuccinelli an Alabama offensive line blocking hole on the only hot button issue that blows up the polling crosstabs – guns.
Yes, he won forever the admiration of Piers Morgan, but he very well could have lost the election.
It changed the narrative. Read more........
Related Article - Direct Link:
McAuliffe appears unserious about being candidate and Governor of Virginia - Bearing Drift......
Gorsuch Nomination Headed for ‘Nuclear Option’
8 hours ago