Thursday, May 31, 2012

Property Rights - EPA - #3932 - VIDEO: Local Government Tries to Regulate Businesses Out of Existence So They Won't Have to Compensate the Owners - The Blaze (2) Government Lines Up $1.4 Billion for Conservation Property Purchases - Human Events (3) Feds Consider Adding Poisonous Rattlesnake to Endangered Species List - Human Events (4) EPA Celebrates the 'Crushing' of One Million 'Working' Refrigerators - CNS News

COULD THIS HAPPEN IN YOUR COMMUNITY, THAT YOUR BUSINESS COULD BE ZONED OUT OF EXISTENCE? Local Government Tries to Regulate Businesses Out of Existence So They Won't Have to Compensate the Owners - The Blaze - The practice by local governments of using the power of eminent domain has a long and storied history in America. Indeed, it’s written into the constitution that governments can seize private property, provided they use it for a public good and pay the owners “just compensation.” Unfortunately, Ventura County in California has found a way around this limit by using zoning regulations to make it so prohibitively difficult for businesses to exist that the owners just pack up and leave of their own volition. This video from Reason Magazine explains the extremely sleazy approach involved:The video centers on two local businesses – one of which, the Pine Mountain Inn, has been around since the 1930s, and hosted the likes of the Hell’s Angels.The inn was forced to close down in 2002 when the owner, Tom Wolf, had a heart attack. Yet now it’s being stopped from reopening because, according to the county, this building has numerous zoning violations, including an unauthorized chicken coop. Read more........ 

Government Lines Up $1.4 Billion for Conservation Property Purchases - Human Events - Controversial legislation tucked into a contentious highway-funding bill gives state and federal governments $1.4 billion to buy private property for new conservation efforts and adds even more inventory to the nation’s 635 million acre holding. Rep. Doc Hastings (R-Wash.), chairman of the House Natural Resources Committee, says this two-year funding mechanism for the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) is “particularly egregious” because the government doesn’t have billions of dollars needed to care for the vast holdings. “The mandatory buying of more land under LWCF is a fiscal dereliction of duty—especially since the government can’t afford to maintain the lands it already owns,” Hastings said.  Read more.........

YOU JUST CAN'T MAKE THIS UP:
Feds Consider Adding Poisonous Rattlesnake to Endangered Species List - Human Events - Environmental groups have convinced the federal government to propose listing the poisonous eastern diamondback rattlesnake as an endangered species in order to protect the reptile from “human persecution.” “Survival of these snakes in large part depends on whether people continue to persecute them or instead choose to allow these amazing creatures to share the land with us,” Bill Matturro, spokesman for Protect All Living Species, said in welcoming the government’s decision, announced earlier this month. In the Southeast, we are blessed with a rich natural heritage of animals and plants. All of these species—even the rattlesnakes—should be allowed to exist.”Federal officials estimate that 55 percent of this species can be found on private property. On public property where the remaining 45 percent are believed to be located, federal officials would have the authority to place restrictions on the use of that land if the reptile were listed as an endangered species. The federal government frowns on harassing or killing protected species, and has been known to impose some hefty fines. There is an exception to the rules if the person is defending lives or property, but the government has to first believe one’s life or property is in danger.  Read more.........

EPA Celebrates the 'Crushing' of One Million Working Refrigerators - CNS News - In a move that recalls the government venture that pulverized 700,000 used cars under the “cash for clunkers” program, the Environmental Protection Agency is now praising a company for “crushing its 1 millionth refrigerator.” EPA hailed Southern California Edison (SCE), a partner in its Responsible Appliance Disposal (RAD) Program, for reaching the “national conservation milestone.”  Read more........

No comments:

Post a Comment